Becoming a Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator

If you are interested in becoming a licensed wildlife rehabilitator, we recommend that you first spend some time volunteering for a wildlife rehabilitation hospital such as New Mexico Wildlife Center. We welcome volunteers [link to volunteer page] and interns at our hospital; click here to learn if we currently have any internships available [link to intern/job page].

26134036_10210517589483146_645197344_oThe U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is responsible for migratory birds and federally threatened and endangered wildlife throughout the United States. They have printed regulations pertaining to different activities, such as rehabilitation, involving these animals. For more information, click here to get a pdf fact sheet from U.S. Fish & Wildlife.

Additionally, regulations and other requirements for becoming a wildlife rehabilitator vary from state to state. The New Mexico Department of Game and Fish is responsible for non-migratory birds, mammals, reptiles and amphibians and state threatened and endangered wildlife. For more information, please visit their website by clicking here and scroll down to the Wildlife Rehabilitation section. 

Here are three organizations that provide training in wildlife rehabilitation: